Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Having bariatric surgery is a life-changing procedure and is one that should be considered carefully. The following steps can help you prepare you for surgery and the changes that you will go through.
- Educate yourself about bariatric surgery. Learn everything you can about bariatric surgery.
- Make lists of the following:
- A complete diet history of all diet attempts. Insurance companies look very closely at this. Include any physician-supervised diets.
- Name, addresses, phone and fax numbers of all doctors you see.
- Medications (both prescription and over-the-counter) and the dosages you take.
- Name and phone number of your pharmacy.
- Foods you like and those you can not tolerate.
- Medical records, especially any recent cardiac stress testing, to minimize repeat tests.
- Start making important changes in your eating and exercise habits. Doing this can help prepare you for the life changes that you will need to make after surgery. These are some of the necessary dietary and behavioral changes that you need to start:
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily.
- Switch from caffeine to decaffeinated beverages
- Take a multivitamin each day, unless allergic to them or your doctor advises you not to
- Keep a detailed written food diary.
- Eat at least three meals per day and avoid snacking in between. Don't worry about the calories for now, focus on the behavior.
- Begin a walking program if able.
- Stop smoking. Smoking slows the healing process and may cause respiratory problems after surgery. If you need help, ask your doctor. Our surgeons will not operate on you if you smoke.
- Write down your feelings every day to remind yourself of your commitment to begin a new and healthier lifestyle and the alternatives if you don't.
- Attend support groups. Having an environment that is filled with support and encouragement is necessary for any patient that undergoes bariatric surgery. Please call to register before attending the first session. There is no charge for the support group.